Topic: Filing a Risperdal Injury Claim – Call (214) 747-5240 for Help Now!
Our Dallas Risperdal lawyers have 38 years of experience. There is never a fee unless we win, so let us make Johnson and Johnson pay for your injury.
Sometimes big corporations put making a profit ahead of your health. In the case of Risperdal, that’s what Johnson & Johnson (and their pharmaceutical company, Janssen) chose to do.
The US Department of Justice accused J&J of illegally marketing Risperdal, citing it didn’t wait to get FDA approval for the drug before promoting it. J&J’s gross misconduct and negligence also includes:
- Promoting Risperdal for children as early as 2003, even though it wasn’t approved for use in children until late 2006 (according to a company sales manager)
- The company’s also been accused of paying doctors to talk favorably about Risperdal, as well as sponsoring golf outings that encouraged physicians to prescribe this medication to children and adolescents
- Concealing the dangerous side effects of Risperdal – gynecomastia (enlargement of breasts in males), diabetes, and significant weight gain
- J&J, and Janssen, were also accused of other illegal marketing behavior between 1993-2004
- J&J’s failure to write adequate warning labels
- Evidence that clinical trial data was withheld from the public and FDA for years
Even though it was pretty clear J&J took the wrong action, they decided to go ahead anyway and put your health at risk.
What Are The Dangerous Side Effects of Risperdal?
A 2006 study in the Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology supports the conclusion that Risperdal causes gynecomastia in young and adolescent boys. And in fact, the company was forced to pay a $2.2 billion settlement in Fall of 2013.
But, besides gynecomastia, one patient in particular (and many others) also experienced:
- Psychological trauma from the undesired condition
- Mastectomy or liposuction to resolve it
- Painful nipple discharge
Although Risperdal is most commonly implicated in affecting children, it also causes these problems:
- Increased risk of stroke in older adults
- Tardive dyskinesia (a movement disorder)
- Higher likelihood of acute kidney injury and other severe side effects (according to the Annals of Internal Medicine)
When Big Corporations Like Johnson & Johnson Misbehave, You Feel so Powerless! What Can You Do?
Johnson & Johnson is a nearly $300 billion company.
How could you possibly get them to take responsibility for you or your loved one’s injuries?
That’s where the experienced Dallas Risperdal lawyers at Mullen & Mullen come in. Our injury law firm has more than 3 decades of experience in helping clients get successful legal outcomes.
You may not be able to take on Johnson & Johnson, but we can. And it’s our goal to make sure you get the just legal compensation you deserve for your injuries, whether you participate in a class-action or personal Texas Risperdal lawsuit.
At many law firms, you meet your lawyer for your initial consultation and you never see or hear from them again. At Mullen & Mullen, we return all phone calls the same day and personally meet with you before, during, and after your case.
If your case requires investigative work, we do not pass the fees on to you. Most firms do.
Maximize What You Get from Your Texas Risperdal Lawsuit
At Mullen & Mullen, our Dallas Risperdal attorneys do everything in their power to minimize your legal fees and maximize your financial compensation. We charge on a contingency fee basis, which means you only pay if your case wins.
Get a FREE consultation to find out if your Risperdal injury claim is strong enough for us to pursue legally. When that’s done, there’s absolutely no obligation to use us as your advocates.
It’s a privilege and honor to protect your legal rights.
Risperdal Frequently Ask Questions
What Other Names Does This Drug Go By?
Risperdal is the brand name. Risperidone is the drug name. It’s also called Invega and paliperidone.
What’s Risperdal Supposed to Do?
It’s actually a pretty intense antipsychotic medication designed for:
- Adults and seniors with schizophrenia
- Treating severe behavioral problems in people with dementia
- Reducing mania associated with bipolar disorder
- Taking care of some of the irritability symptoms of autism
It’s actually not that bad at alleviating these symptoms. But, unfortunately, Johnson & Johnson chose to market it illegally before it was approved for some of these uses. And it also concealed some of the more severe side effects so it could take the drug to market.
Does Risperdal Affect Your Liver?
Some studies have shown this link, but there is no definitive conclusion. For example, the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disease (NIDDK) has found some evidence of this.
According to the website LiverTox, which provides information related to prescription drugs and their effects on your liver, up to 30% of patients who take the generic version (Risperidone) have abnormal liver tests within the first 8 weeks of taking the drug.
In some cases, these effects go away, even with continued use of the medication. In others, patients report jaundice (yellowing of your skin and the whites of your eyes) and acute liver injury.
Can You Get Addicted to Risperdal?
It’s not addictive, but that doesn’t mean it’s easy to stop taking. In fact, it’s such a potent drug that you shouldn’t stop taking it without medical supervision.
You can experience some withdrawal-like symptoms such as irritability, anxiousness, dizziness, nausea, insomnia, itching, and others.
If this is the first you’ve heard of its bad side effects and you’re concerned, definitely don’t stop taking it cold turkey. Instead, talk with your doctor.
Do You Believe Risperdal Has Caused You Undue Pain & Suffering?
If so, contact our Dallas Risperdal lawyers for your FREE consultation today. We’ll help you understand whether you have a case you can pursue in court. You only pay us if we win a settlement for you. Just call (214) 747-5240 or fill out the contact form on this page to get started with legal help now.