Use the table of contents to easily navigate this page.
About Cases Involving Traumatic Brain Injuries
Many people end up with a TBI and don’t even know it. Doctors routinely miss the signs of traumatic brain injuries because there are a wide range of symptoms. Sometimes they’re mild and barely even noticeable, and in many cases they don’t appear until weeks after the incident that caused them.
What are the symptoms of a TBI?
According to Mayo Clinic, traumatic brain injuries can cause you to experience symptoms like:
- Losing consciousness for a few seconds, a few minutes, or even hours;
- Feeling dazed, confused, and disoriented;
- Persistent headache or one that worsens;
- Nausea and vomiting;
- Convulsions or seizures;
- Fatigue, drowsiness, interrupted sleep, or the inability to wake up;
- Problems speaking or slurred speech;
- Extreme confusion or difficulty remembering and concentrating;
- Feeling dizzy and losing your balance;
- Blurred vision, or one or both pupils may be dilated;
- Ringing in your ears;
- A bad taste in your mouth;
- Changes in your ability to smell;
- Fluid draining from your nose and ears;
- Feeling sensitive to light or sound;
- Unusual mood swings or feeling anxious, depressed or unusually agitated or irritable;
- Loss of coordination;
- Weakness/numbness in your fingers and toes;
- An unusual change in conscious awareness.
Many traumatic brain injuries are difficult to precisely define making them subjective to your own experience. That means proving causation, where another party is likely responsible for your traumatic brain injuries, can be difficult. If you believe someone else’s negligent behavior caused your TBI symptoms, you need a proven Dallas lawyer with unquestionable competence.
How prevalent are traumatic brain injuries?
The Texas Brain Injury Alliance says 144,000 Texans experience a TBI each year, 381,000 Texans currently live with a disability caused by TBI, and 5,700 end up with a permanent disability due to a TBI each year. And of the 1.7 million people nationwide who sustain a TBI annually, 52,000 die.
Motor vehicle collisions are the second leading cause of TBI, resulting in 17.3% of all traumatic brain injuries and 31.8% of all TBI deaths.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) levied its highest fine ever – $105 million against Fiat Chrysler. On July 26th, Fiat Chrysler acknowledged numerous violations of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act’s requirements to repair vehicles with safety defects.
In addition to the $105 million fine, Fiat Chrysler agreed to buy back some of the defective vehicles and submit to intensive federal oversight. The violations stem from 23 recalls that covered more than 11 million of their defective vehicles.
And for the past decade, more than 3,000 motorists have died on Texas highways each year. In 2014, there were just 288 fewer deaths (3,534 versus 3,822) than 2003, an 8.1% decrease. Deaths on Texas highways reached a recent low in 2010, with 3,060, and have been on the rise every year since. Many of the injuries and deaths are traumatic brain injuries.
Why Choose Our Dallas Lawyers to Handle Your TBI Case?
Most people hire the first brain injury lawyer they talk to. But remember, you’re in charge of a major hiring decision.
Make a bad decision by choosing a Dallas attorney who cares only about profit, and you could cost miss out on a six, or even seven figure settlement. This can happen with popular law firms who advertise on TV because they usually make their money by settling a high volume of cases as quickly as possible to maximize their profit.
However, if you make a smart decision, you’ll get all the maximum settlement you deserve for your TBI case. That’s why hiring our Dallas brain injury lawyers makes sense. Not only do we have the skill needed to get you the maximum fair compensation you can get for your TBI – we’re also nice nice guys who care about what’s best for you.
Senior Attorney Shane Mullen routinely wins six and seven-figure settlements for Dallas clients with traumatic brain injuries.
Recent victories include:
- $2,024,050.73 (involved a TBI)
- $950,000.00 (involved a TBI)
… And both cases were won before court became necessary. That saves an incredible amount of time, money, and stress for you.
This might be why Shane’s been named a “Texas Super Lawyer” three consecutive years. It’s not just any award. The Thomson-Reuter’s publication uses a 12-point system to evaluate all applying attorneys and eliminate any chance of you-scratch-my-back-I-scratch-yours from influencing the award.
You’re in some of the most competent hands in all of Texas with our Dallas brain injury lawyers.
What makes our law firm different?
What races through your mind when you first realize you need to hire a TBI lawyer?
You might wonder:
- How much will this cost?
- Will the lawyer care about my TBI case?
- Is the lawyer a jerk in person?
Relax – because you’re in kind, caring hands with us. Just Google “Mullen & Mullen Dallas Reviews” and read our 290+ client ratings online.
Besides an undeniably strong reputation, our attorneys:
- Routinely win higher settlements and verdicts because senior lawyers do all the work on your case – not paralegals or junior attorneys. Most other law firms have paralegals and junior attorneys who help out – or even argue your TBI claim in court with the supervision of a senior attorney. That dramatically lowers your chances of winning the maximum amount.
Other recent victories involving a TBI:
- $300,000 for a pedestrian hit by automobile resulting in a TBI
- $202,501 for post-concussion syndrome from a car wreck
Our Dallas Brain Injury Lawyers:
- Help you delay paying for medical bills until after your TBI claim settles. We have special arrangements in place with many medical practices that delay billing until after your case concludes. That takes a ton of emotional stress, irritating collectors, and uncaring medical institutions off you so you can focus on recovering from your TBI.
- Have a unique setup that saves you money. Most law firms contract private investigation services. That costs you more. We employ our own in-house private investigator to help you reduce your case expenses.
- Are just plain nice guys. You probably worry that your lawyer will be a pain-in-the-you-know-what to work with. That happens. We get it. When dealing with insurers and other attorneys, we’re fierce competitors. But in private with you – we’re down-to-earth guys who listen and care, just like anyone else.
Get a free TBI consultation today with Mullen & Mullen’s Dallas brain injury lawyers to find out if you have a legitimate case.
Learn how our TBI attorneys can help. Contact us in Dallas, Plano, Frisco, or Fort Worth now, to discuss the facts of your potential case. There is never a fee for our legal services unless we obtain a recovery for you.
Call (214) 747-5240 now or use the contact form or chat feature on this page.
Shane V. Mullen is an attorney licensed by the State of Texas for the general practice of law, and the Managing Partner at Mullen & Mullen Law Firm in Dallas, TX. His firm focuses exclusively on personal injury law and has been in business for 40 years. Before becoming a lawyer, Shane worked for his father as an accident injury claims investigator.